Sunday, March 8, 2009

No Reservations Needed


Boy do I love an exceptionally cooked meal, who doesn't? Who wouldn't want to eat out at a four star restaurant? What person in their right mind wouldn't love to spend a romantic evening with their loved one in the Big Apple? Why not go out with friends to a hotspot after having a rough day at work on a Friday night? How could one not celebrate their birthday with family at a top notch restaurant with a marvelous view of the lighten up city? Location, location, location. How can you resist all those cuisines? Why so many questions?

I personally love the city and any restaurant inside the heart of New York. The bright lights, the loud beeping of cars, matinées on Broadway, the feeling of being cramped, the vast array of stores, and of course the constant life the city possesses does nothing but compel you to be there. I have to stop myself here before I digress and lose sight of what I'm actually writing about.

There have been few times in which I've walked into a four star, highly recommended, highly expensive restaurant, but i must say that that even after splitting a $250 check, I was impressed with more than just the food. The lighting can affect the mood and possibly the energy of a restaurant. Art or any type of gallery can intrigue customers or even strike up a conversation. I remember being in a French restaurant (I'm not really for French cuisine, but it was for a sweet 16) and there was this particular abstract art painting that must have started a thirty minute debate on what the artist was trying to portray. Now music either put people at ease or cause them to leave due to the overbearingness. Of course it depends on what type of feel the restaurant wants to give so it's kind of based on what's appropriate. That's not to say I wouldn't love "My Heart Will Go on" being blasted in the background, but sometimes the music, if there is any, just won't match the feel of a restaurant. As i said before, location, location, location can really be a bonus for attracting hungry customers. I ate at this Japanese place one time (yea, I'm sorry i don't know the names of these restaurants because it was a while ago) and it had a magnificent view of central park. This next part is pretty simplistic, but nonetheless it amazes me how each day hundreds of people dine at given restaurant and as you walk into a crowded place all you hear can hear are scattered words. Some people are there to talk about relationship problems, business, suicide, politics, sports and the list goes on. You look around and read body language and wonder what they must be thinking or feeling and make judgments on complete strangers to make yourself feel better, to make conversation or react to the wife who has just thrown a glass of wine at her soon to be ex-husband after finding out he cheated on her with her best friend and wants a divorce so he can get married to her now ex-best friend. There are just so many things going on in a restaurant that it makes it worth the while.

I know all of this sounds irresistible, right? Well, as tempting as all of that may be I would rather be home in a more personal setting with a loved one, friend, or family. Even though I'm far from being a cook, I'd rather attempt at cooking something resemblant of food and having a lot of laughs and have "quality time." Call me sentimental or what have you, but that's how i roll.

2 comments:

  1. This isn't what I expected...it's long and filled with prose, but I really enjoyed reading it. I love the "scattered words," but rather than listing the topics, it might have been cool to just add snippets of their conversations. I also wonder what the smells are tastes in this restaurant are. Get in touch with those senses! Your digressions are really fun too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was long I have to tell you that but very interesting. I like how you used a different format besides the original way to write a map poem. I love the fact that you spoke through the charecters mind. Also the last line really amused me " Call me sentimental or what have you, but thats how I roll".

    ReplyDelete