Tuesday, February 10, 2009

It Comes From Within


Why do we read? Does it serve a purpose in life? If you've seen The Matrix Reloaded, Agent Smith constantly emphasized purpose and how everything was about him because he was just so special. Seriously, how narcissistic can one get? Anyways, there was a particular scene that i was reminded of while pondering why we read. Right before all the Smiths and Neo have that ridiculously hour long fight, Smith goes on to say," We're not here because we're free. We're here because we're not free. There is no escaping reason; no denying purpose. Because as we both know, without purpose, we would not exist. It is purpose that created us. Purpose that connects us. Purpose that pulls us. That guides us. That drives us. It is purpose that defines us. Purpose that binds us" So back to these things that, to many, seem as if they're being shoved down our throats: books. Why would one be so inclined to pick up a book and read word after word? Purpose. What kind of purpose may differ with each individual. Some people read just so that they can fall asleep quicker (guilty), some are actually entertained and enjoy opening their minds, some are forced and some do it in order to escape this cruel, cruel world by using their imagination.

Some are turned off by the thought of reading and i have to say that at times i understand why. Reading can be rather time consuming...actually that's probably the only real reason why i understand. For all those who complain about how boring their book is, that's something you can change and is just a waste of an excuse. And don't get me wrong, I'm not saying everyone has to read because some just weren't born to get lost in a book. However, there are a lot of benefits to be gained from challenging yourself. There is a lot to be learned just by living life so it's not like we need to be in school in order to expand our minds and gain knowledge. We don't need our Board of Ed making up the curriculum for us and choosing our chore books for English. We can just go out and see for ourselves what kind of books interest us. What's the worst that could happen? Absolutely nothing my friend! Keep in mind, however, that it's probably in your best interest that you actually sit down and read or skim a potential purchase. I've made that mistake once or twice and that'll won't be my last. I don't know how many times I've had to prioritize and cut down my choices of books so that i'm not broke as i walk out of Barnes and Noble. I want all of you who love Barnes and Noble to put ya hands up! Anyone? Alright, so that wasn't as smooth as i wanted, but i guess it's just being a newcomer to this blog thingymabober. Oh and my grammar is horrible. Yes, i am quite aware so just disregard all my mistakes because for the most part you know what I'm saying.


So where was I? Ah yes, I'm definitely not saying that those who read are better than those who don't, i'm just saying that it wouldn't hurt. Personally, i feel more confident, smarter, creative and open minded after each book i read. I like how i can connect to a particular character or situation. Sometimes it takes that one book to make the difference. I was never enthusiastic about reading because i was sort of a slow reader, which i still am, but as they say "practice makes perfect." I was a sophmore and at the time, i was really interested in massage therapy, but i didn't know much about the profession and all the different techniques and practices there were. So, to my surprise, i took a trip over to Barnes and Noble and did some searching. That really sparked my interest in reading.

I could sit here and keep on personalizing and writing how much we can benefit from reading, but after all is said and done the desire has to come from within you and only you. No one can force us to do anything that we don't want to do. We have the choice (that's actually debatable and a possible topic for a next post). But what about school? True, reading is a requirement and I'd never suggest this, but we still have that choice of not reading the chore books. Life's a trade off, if you read than you'll get better grades whereas if you choose not to than your grade suffers. Any who, it all comes down to desire and that is the message i try to get across in my pro-reading advertisement. All of the things listed from professions to behaviors to certain situations all have something to do with desire. Why was Roger Federer the best player in the world for five years? Because he wanted to be the best. Why did Angelina Jolie break up with Billy Bob? Because she had no desire to stay in the relationship. Why does one become a photographer, a teacher, etc? Because they want to. Well, since I've beaten that point to a pulp I think I shall sign off here. Twas fun. Keep it real.



No comments:

Post a Comment